With an abundance of cities and universities to choose from, it can be hard to decide where to head to start your undergraduate studies – even more so if you’re coming to the UK from abroad. With that in mind, we’ve put together the top 10 reasons why we think that Leeds is a great option. Our YPP Head Office is based in Leeds, so that might make us a little biased but nonetheless!
1. Amazing Choice of Study - to make the decision even more difficult, there are four universities to choose from in the city: University of Leeds, Leeds Beckett University, Leeds Trinity University & Leeds Arts University. University of Leeds is a Russell Group university, ranked in the top 10 best universities in the UK for 2017/18, according to the Times and Sunday Times. Whichever you choose, we can help you find the perfect luxury student accommodation in Leeds.
2. The 'Yorkshire Folk' - in case you haven’t heard; people from Yorkshire are renowned for being super friendly, so whether you lose your way getting into University or just need a little bit of help in the shops – the Yorkshire folk are sure to help!
3. You Can Shop til' You Drop - the shopping is fantastic. Within the City Centre you have access to everything from High Street to Designer, between the Trinity Centre and Victoria Quarter. Plus, if you wander outside of the shopping centres there is plenty of independent shops and arcades selling vintage clothing, gifts and other interesting goodies. The shops are only a short walk from 3 of the universities, making them perfect for browsing in your free periods.
4. The Party Never Ends - Leeds is famous for its nightlife and it sure has something for everyone – whether you’re wanting a relaxed night with your partner, or a fun night with friends, Leeds has it all.
5. The Perfect Student Pads -we have it all! We don’t want to toot our own trumpet but YPP offers top of the range luxury student accommodation in Leeds city centre and surrounding areas. Whether you want to live in the midst of it all, up in Headingley or around the university, our flats for students in Leeds are located in the best areas, with the best facilities, at a range of budgets.
6. Food For Everyone - there is an endless number of restaurants for all budgets and cuisines. Upmarket? Try Tattu or Shears Yard. Tapas? Head to Pintura or Ambiente. Street Food? Zaap Thai or Trinity Kitchen. Plus, there’s all your typical chains like Nandos and Yo Sushi. A lot of restaurants do student deals too!
7. Escape To The Country - at face value Leeds is a busy city, but it does have its getaways. For a break from your never-ending revision, just head a few miles out and you’re in the rolling Yorkshire countryside of Ilkley or Otley. Why not take in a little bit of history at Harewood House? Alternatively, just a short walk from the centre is Hyde Park, or if you’re based in popular Headingley you aren’t far from Meanwood or Rounday Park!
8. Employment Heaven - with any busy city comes an abundance of jobs. Whether it’s bar work, retail work, office work or the first steps into your career whilst you’re at university; you’ll be sure to find something. That’s not all, there are huge post graduate career prospects within Leeds too. In fact, CV-Library found in a 2018 survey, that Leeds is the 7th best city in the UK to find a job – not bad!
9. Getting Around - the public transport around Leeds makes getting around really easy. A day ticket on the bus will set you back just over £4 but there are some good student deals if you pay per term or on the mobile app. Oh, and if you show your student card between the city centre and Headingley it will only cost you £1 – winner! The train around Leeds is handy to, stopping in popular student areas Burley and Headingley within a few minutes. If you want to go further afield, you can get to London in less than 2 hours or Manchester in 1 hour!
10. Say Goodbye To Boredom - one thing's for sure, you’ll never be bored in Leeds. When you get some well-earned time off from studying you’ll be spoilt for choice. There are out of town retail parks like Cardigan Fields with a cinema, restaurants and laser tag. In the city centre the Leeds Grand Theatre hosts regular performances, the O2 Academy is home to numerous gigs, plus there are activities such as ping pong at Roxy Ballroom and adventure golf at Jungle Rumble. Fancy something more relaxed? Head to one of many roof top bars, such as Headrow House or Belgrave Music Hall to snap an Instagram worthy view.
There you have it! Our definitive guide to why you should study in Leeds. Think about everything you want out of university: the courses, the social life, the activities, the career prospects – Leeds has it all bundled into one. If you decide that university is for you and you’re starting the hunt for student accommodation in Leeds, head to ypp.co.uk to find your new apartment!
Exciting new development coming soon. Work is underway on a new £12m purpose-built student accommodation development on Cookridge Street in the heart of Leeds city...Read Story